Facilitating the Integration of Resettled Refugees in Croatia, Italy, Spain and Portugal
The COMMIT project recognizes that successful integration of resettled refugees depends on fostering the mutual exchange between refugees and host communities, as well as enabling structural conditions.
Based on these assumptions, the COMMIT project aims at maximizing the integration outcomes of resettled refugees in Croatia, Italy, Spain and Portugal by:
- Enhancing pre-departure orientation, including putting in touch refugees and reception community members since the pre-departure phase and through the development of targeted pre-departure orientation training material.
- Strengthening community support, including activating mentorship schemes in receiving communities to support vulnerable groups.
- Fostering transnational exchange between newer and more experienced resettlement countries to identify and disseminate lessons learnt and best practices beyond the project’s geographical scope.
The project is funded by the European Commission’s Directorate – General for Migration and Home Affairs (DG HOME) and runs from 2019 to 2021.
- COMMIT Final Event Facilitating the Integration of Resettled Refugees
Thursday, 29 April 2021
09.30 am - 12.30 pm | Brussels
As the project is coming to a close, the COMMIT final event intends to contribute to mutual learning and experience sharing on the integration of resettled refugees in Europe. The event will take stock of the activities undertaken during the project, good practices identified, and lessons learned from the project’s implementation. Please see our report Labour-market Integration of Resettled Refugees in the EU: Guidelines for Practitioners. The conference will bring together key stakeholders and experts working on EU Resettlement and refugees’ integration to discuss topics related to pre-departure orientation, community sponsorship, mental-health and psycho-social support.
- Labour Market Integration Promoting the Employment of Refugees in Europe
Tuesday, 30 March 2021
11.00 am - 12.30 pm | Brussels
This webinar aims at fostering the exchange of knowledge, good practices and lessons learnt in the area of refugees’ labour market inclusion. It will also launch the Guidelines on labour market integration of resettled refugees in the European Union, developed within the COMMIT project. The Guidelines aim to provide guidance for all actors involved in the pre-departure and post-arrival phases of resettlement – namely PDO trainers, hosting institutions, social workers and community mentors – with practical information on the different issues and considerations involved in supporting resettled refugees to define and implement employment objectives and related job-seeking strategies.
Mainstreaming Gender along the Resettlement Continuum -
Towards an inclusive integration approach
Wednesday, 21 October 2020
11.00-12.30 (CEST) | online
This webinar will promote inclusive and gender-sensitive integration practices along the resettlement continuum – from pre-departure orientation programmes to long-term integration actions. It aims at fostering a transnational exchange of knowledge, good practices and lessons learnt by drawing from refugees’ integration experiences as well as ongoing interventions on the field.
Preparing Refugee Youth for Resettlement -
The Role of Pre‑departure Orientation
Tuesday, 09 June 2020
11.00–12.30 | online
Panelists will exchange good practices in delivering Pre‑departure Orientation (PDO) programmes that empower young refugees to integrate into their new environment. Also, the Trainers’ Handbook for Youth Pre‑departure Orientation will be launched.
Partners and Contact Information
- Contact COMMIT teams in implementing missions
- Croatia - Please contact Martina Car or visit the IOM Croatia project page for further information on COMMIT activities in Croatia.
Portugal - Please contact Joana Costa for further information on COMMIT activities in Portugal.
Funded by the Asylum, Migration and Integration Fund of the European Union